When it comes to developing relevant, unique content, here are a few tips that I have used in the past (as a Marketing Director for a 100 person professional service firm) and now, as a consultant to small to medium-sized businesses:
- Engage a “team” to brainstorm ideas for the publication(s). You should be able to create a list of 50+ potential articles from this group – of course, do not go into the meeting unprepared… you should have a list of areas/services/products related to your firm when you begin.
- Develop a POA (plan of action) – Be sure to include an overview of the process (see below my process), then assign article topics to all implementers (this may not be your entire brainstorming team, or your entire partner group, but folks who will git ‘r’ done).
- Share the process / ways you will communicate with the “drafters” – here’s mine:
- Create an excel spreadsheet with these columns: topic/subject, person responsible, status, anticipated publish date, actual publish date and category (so you don’t talk too much about one subject).
- Share the document with all responsible parties.
- Educate all “drafters” on the timeline – for example, I send an email three (3) weeks prior to the due date, tell the responsible party that I need an outline (or draft, whatever they are comfortable with) in 2 weeks… that gives me one week to review / revise and prepare for the newsletter, blog or e-blast.
- Track the progress – this helps you figure out if you need to give them more time / less time to prepare in the future, some people finish faster than others (if so, maybe they can do more).
- Stick to your deadline – if you say you’ll publish them weekly, monthly, quarterly… then do it! Do not leave your audience waiting on information because one person failed to meet the deadline set forth. If applicable in your firm, have a plan for when someone “fails” to do as required. Will someone else draft it? Will their article get pushed to the next month? Etc…
If you just don’t have the time to manage this process or need help defining the right content for your business, contact us today and we’ll help you plan your content, implement your content and publish your content.